The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has embarked on a comprehensive consultation and engagement with communities affected by the mining audit recently conducted by the agency. The consultation kicks off in the Caraga region, where majority of mining operations ordered closed by the DENR are located.
In a special order she signed on February 20, DENR Secretary Gina Lopez authorized the conduct of simultaneous community consultation and engagement in the provinces of Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur on February 20-24.
Lopez said the exercise was meant to assist the communities and households affected by the mining audit, “particularly ensuring that they will be able to transition well from being mining workers or mining communities to an empowered social entrepreneur or a vibrant community enterprise, impelled by the principles of ecosystems integrity and social justice.”
Lopez tasked Forest Management Bureau (FMB) Director Ricardo Calderon to head the DENR team that will conduct the consultation. Calderon will be assisted by DENR Caraga acting regional director Charlie Fabre and Director Nonito Tamayo.
Other members of the consultation team are personnel from the DENR central office, FMB, DENR-Caraga and consultants.
The team will be supervised by DENR Undersecretary for Field Operations Philip Camara and Assistant Secretary for Field Operations-Mindanao Marcial Amaro Jr.
The output of the community consultation and engagement will be presented during the plenary session with Cabinet officials and representatives of affected communities on February 25-26 in Butuan City.
On February 2, Lopez ordered the closure of 23 mining operations and suspension of five others found to have committed serious environmental violations. Fifteen of these mine operations are in the Caraga region.
Just last week, Lopez announced her plan to cancel 75 mineral production sharing agreements or MPSAs for mine sites within or near watershed areas.
WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has authorized the release of $1.2 billion in U.S. military assistance to Egypt, despite human rights concerns that have held up previous funding. The … [Read More...]
The United States has reportedly agreed to resume a firearm sale to the Philippines but President Duterte might not take the offer anymore. The President said he was not interested with the US … [Read More...]
Viral social media posts showing military tanks rumbling through EDSA have caused panic among netizens amid destabilization and martial law reports , but the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said … [Read More...]
MANILA -- Extensive examination is still being conducted on the Philippine Navy (PN) flagship, BRP Gregorio del Pilar (FF-15), that ran aground off Hasa-Hasa (international name Half-Moon) Shoal in … [Read More...]
DAVAO CITY — President Rodrigo Duterte said he had acquired “some arms” during his recent trip to Israel and Jordan but did not give details. “May nakuha ako doon. Hindi ko sabihin kung anong … [Read More...]
THE TWO AH-1F COBRA ATTACK HELICOPTERS BEING DONATED BY JORDAN TO THE PHILIPPINES PART OF 16 COBRA HELICOPTERS DONATED TO JORDAN BY ISRAEL IN 2015. A long-held suspicion that everyone was already … [Read More...]