The Philippines on Wednesday said it is determined to see through the conclusion of its arbitration case that seeks to invalidate China’s huge sea claim amid Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi’s accusation that Manila’s legal challenge has strained ties between the two countries.
Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose maintained that arbitration, “a universally-recognized dispute settlement mechanism,” is “a peaceful and enduring solution” to the overlapping claims in the South China Sea — a resource-rich body of water also being claimed in parts or in whole by Vietnam, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan.
“We are determined to pursue the arbitration case to its logical conclusion,” Jose said in a statement. The Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague, Netherlands, which has jurisdiction over Manila’s case, will begin its hearing on the merits of the Philippine complaint on Nov. 24 and will conclude it on Nov. 30.
In its case, Manila seeks to declare as illegal China’s so-called nine-dash line claim — a U-shaped enclosure that puts almost the entire South China Sea, including parts of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone, under its territory.
Jose maintained China’s nine-dash line claim is “expansive, excessive and has no basis under international law,” including the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea, which allows coastal states to explore, exploit and manage areas within its 200-nautical mile EEZ.
“If left unchallenged, we could lose about 80 percent of our exclusive economic zone,” Jose warned.
Speaking to Manila-based Chinese journalist, Wang, hours after his bilateral meeting with counterpart Albert del Rosario and a courtesy call to President Benigno S. Aquino III in Malacanang on Tuesday, called on the Philippines to solve its diplomatic rift with China. “We hope that the Philippines can make a more sensible choice,” he said.
Tensions flared after China beefed up its reclamation activities in disputed areas and transformed seven previously submerged features into artificial islands with buildings several stories high with at least two runways. Several countries, including the US and Japan, have raised concerns on China’s rapid island-building.
“China’s unilateral, aggressive and provocative actions to assert her claims in South China Sea affect our ability to exercise our sovereign rights and jurisdiction over our maritime entitlements,” Jose said. “To address these, we have resorted to arbitration.”
MANILA -- The US government reiterated its offer to supply the Philippines with the Lockheed Martin F-16. The offer took place during Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin … [Read More...]
The kit incorporates, among other systems, an electro-optical imager and a variant of ELTA Systems' EL/M-2022 synthetic aperture radar The 300th Air Intelligence and Security Wing (AISW) of the … [Read More...]
Here in the Philippines, there are lots of events that can – and do – have an effect on the economy. From the recent debates over the local labour market to natural disasters such as Typhoon Haiyan, … [Read More...]
The Philippines will hold joint military exercises with China during the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean)-China military exercise to be held in Zhanjiang, China on October 22 to 29, the … [Read More...]
The National Guard of the Republic of Kazakhstan has received its first Y8F200W military transport aircraft from China. According to Kazakhstan’s source, the National Guard has received into … [Read More...]
MALAYBALAY CITY – A mass surrender ceremony for 117 members and supporters of the New People’s Army (NPA) was held in Sitio Mainaga, Barangay Iba, Cabanglasan, Bukidnon on Wednesday. Capt. Norman … [Read More...]