Philippines and Japan signed February 29 the Agreement Concerning the Transfer of Defense Equipment and Technology. The agreement was signed by Japan Ambassador to the Republic of the Philippines Kazuhide Ishikawa and National Defense Secretary Voltaire T. Gazmin for their respective countries.
The said agreement will not only pave way for transfer of military hardware and technology but will also usher in joint production of defense equipment.
The following are facts regarding the said agreement according to the Japanese Embassy:
1. It establishes the legal framework for the Governments of Japan and the Republic of the Philippines to participate in the joint research, development, and production of defense equipment and technology.
2. It establishes framework for the handling of defense equipment and technology to be transferred between Japan and the Philippines in order to enhance cooperation between the two countries in the areas of security and defense.
3. Agreement establishes a Joint Committee as the organ for approving the defense equipment and technology to be transferred for the projects in this Agreement.
4. It also stipulates the regulations for the use of the transferred defense equipment and technology.
5. Agreement ensures appropriate control regarding the transfers to third parties and for extra-purpose use against the joint development and production of defense equipment and technology which the Governments of Japan and the Republic of the Philippines participate in, or the transfers of defense equipment and technology between Japan and Philippines to enhance their cooperation in the areas of security and defense.
Japan has adopted “Three Principles on Transfer of Defense Equipment Technology” in April 2014 which will not permit transfer if the transfer violates obligations under treaties and other international agreements that Japan has concluded, the transfer violates obligations under United Nations Security Council resolutions, or the defense equipment and technology is destined for a country party to a conflict (a country against which the United Nations Security Council is taking measures to maintain or restore international peace and security in the event of an armed attack).
Japan will permit transfer if it will contribute to active promotion of peace contribution and international cooperation, or Japan’s security.
I was able to attend the 2018 Asian Defense and Security (ADAS) at the World Trade Center (WTC) in Manila recently, and every time the event is held (every two years) it always seem to get bigger and … [Read More...]
MANILA -- The US government reiterated its offer to supply the Philippines with the Lockheed Martin F-16. The offer took place during Department of National Defense (DND) Secretary Delfin … [Read More...]
The kit incorporates, among other systems, an electro-optical imager and a variant of ELTA Systems' EL/M-2022 synthetic aperture radar The 300th Air Intelligence and Security Wing (AISW) of the … [Read More...]
Here in the Philippines, there are lots of events that can – and do – have an effect on the economy. From the recent debates over the local labour market to natural disasters such as Typhoon Haiyan, … [Read More...]
The Philippines will hold joint military exercises with China during the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean)-China military exercise to be held in Zhanjiang, China on October 22 to 29, the … [Read More...]
The National Guard of the Republic of Kazakhstan has received its first Y8F200W military transport aircraft from China. According to Kazakhstan’s source, the National Guard has received into … [Read More...]