The Philippines has readied a contingency plan for about 55,000 Filipinos in South Korea in case the situation in the Korean peninsula worsens, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Monday. DFA spokesperson Assistant Secretary Charles Jose said he cannot divulge the details of the plan but assured that they are closely monitoring the situation in the Korean peninsula.
“The plan could be compromised if details, like assembly area and extraction points, are disclosed prematurely,” he pointed out. He also said all Philippine embassies, including the one in Seoul, have contingency plans.
North Korea became unstoppable in launching nuclear powered missiles in the past weeks. Moreover, on April 15, North Korea will celebrate its most important holiday, Day of the Sun, commemorating the birth anniversary of Kim Il-sung, founding president of North Korea.
Kim Jong Un, North Korea’s leader has indicated that another missile test will be conducted on April 15.
Carl Vinson Strike Group has departed Singapore April 8 and was ordered by US Pacific Command commander Admiral Harry Harris to sail north and operate in Western Pacific near the Korean Peninsula instead of executing previously planned port visits to Australia which is down south.
Lead-ship Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) with embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 2, Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyers USS Wayne E. Meyer (DDG 108) and USS Michael Murphy (DDG 112), and Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Lake Champlain (CG 57) are part of Carl Vinson Strike Group. with PNA