A total of 180 units in medium-rise buildings for informal settlers living at the Manggahan floodway will be completed on Aug. 15, the day their houses are expected to be demolished by the Pasig City government, an official of the National Housing Authority (NHA) has said.
In a recent interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA), Ma. Teresa Oblipias, officer-in-charge of the NHA’s office in the National Capital Region, said these units are part of the targeted 900 units in five-storey buildings that are being constructed by the NHA for the families that will be affected by the clearing of the Manggahan floodway.
Of the 900 relocation units, 120 had already been completed and have been occupied by some of the affected families as early as 2015.
More units are expected to be completed by December, Oblipias said, noting that each unit measures about 24 sq. meters. Families will not be asked to pay any down payment but units will be priced differently based on the floor they are in, she said.
Oblipias said each family will have to pay a monthly amortization of PHP600 if their unit is on the fifth floor, PHP700 if it is on the fourth floor, PHP800 if on the third floor, PHP900 if on the second floor, and PHP1,000 if on the ground floor, which is the most convenient location. The unit is payable over a period of 30 years.
The informal settlers, who have been occupying a 2,000-hectare government property along the floodway’s East Bank Road, have called on housing officials to act urgently on their request for the completion of their relocation site, as they fear displacement during the impending demolition of their houses.